Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Art21

Raymond Pettibon
         Raymond combined writing and drawing when he does his artwork. He believes that writing is a huge benefit when making a piece of art. Raymond begins all his artworks with writing, which is his form of getting his ideas out. He also believes that writing is a form of art. Raymond Pettibon's work is very interesting. I never thought of combining writing and drawing in artwork. What he does looks very cool together. He reads books and takes quotes and things that interest him and then transfers that into artwork/drawings.
I can relate to it because whenever I read something like a book or article, I always image an image in my mind. That is sort of how Raymond thinks because he has writing and then imagines a picture to go with it

Elizabeth Murray
         The way Elizabeth Murray starts her pieces of art is by cutting out different 3-D shapes and putting them together. She also adds intense colors to the shapes and paintings. When watching the video, I realized she using a tool that looked light a knife to paint the colors on. But before she begins the actual artwork, she makes a sketch in her sketch book to help her get ideas out on paper. To make her artwork even better, Elizabeth goes back to add more and more detail to it. She believes that her pieces are never done and there could always be improvement and changes to make.
I can relate to it because I like having a lot of bright colors and things going on. It is also hard for me to relate because I always like things to be perfect and with this type of artwork you have to be willing to let mistakes happen.

1 comment:

  1. Well done. I'm glad you found two artists who you could relate to in some way. Murray, especially, is a great one for you...with all that color and shape! I wonder if you should try to play with paint a bit more...

    ReplyDelete