Thursday, February 17, 2011

Art21 #2

I am watching Jessica Stockholder right now. Her art is very interesting to look at. It has many things going on and is extremely colorful. I really like how she uses color and different types of paint. Her process is really cool to learn about because it is not typical paint, it is more of a paper paint (i think that is what she said). With the paint she uses, you can have it dry and then peel it off to put it onto a different piece of paper. The paint has a different type of texture as well. I would love to be able to try that type out and see the difference because that and acrylic paint. Jessica Stockholder also uses 3-D materials to make sculptures. The materials are things that you would not expect to see in a sculpture or piece of artwork.











The second episode I watched was stories with Kara Walker. She did a nice job of telling her story through her painting. She painted a lot
about slavery and wanted her work to have feeling and emotion. It was cool to watch this one specifically because in my math class I am doing a project on South African art. A lot of the paintings I see are like this because they tell stories through pictures and a lot of them are about slavery. Also, Kara Walker said she uses illusions to make it seem like she is talking about a past historical event. I can not relate to this one as much because her artwork is mainly in black and white and I enjoy seeing color.

No comments:

Post a Comment