Thursday, February 24, 2011

Art21 #3

I watched Transformation with the artist Yinka Shonibare. I did not enjoy his art that much. He made sculptures of bodies transforming into a character. He added clothing, motion and objects to the sculpture. The part that I found interesting was how he did not have a distinct race to the body. He did not have them be black nor white. The purpose was so it is impossible to base his work off of race. Yinka Shonibare also did sculptures of animals and paintings. He wanted to go back to the basics and start with flowers when he did paintings. I liked his paintings more than his sculptures.












The second person I watched was Carrie May Weems on Compassion. She is a photographer. She takes pictures of Africans and prints them out in red. Then, she puts a piece of glass over and adds writing to the picture. The point of her images are to display Africans past and oppressive past. I am not a huge fan of her work but I like how her photos tell a story and have a meaning behind them.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment